Monday, October 15, 2012

Weekend in Liège!

I've been up to a lot lately! On Saturday, I had an optional AFS trip to Liège for a boat ride, and I brought my host brother with me. We took a train to Liège.  When we got there, we rode a ferry around the Meuse River, which took about an hour.  Afterwards, we all went to a restaurant together for lunch.  It was a pretty crazy day after lunch.

One of the American students in Belgium, Callie's host-parents wanted her to leave Liège shortly after the ferry ride.  She was going to walk to the bus stop and take a bus to the train station.  Because I'm a fantastic person, a girl named and Ana and I went with Callie to keep her company.  It wasn't hard to find the bus stop, but then we couldn't find the right bus.  It started raining so we ran into McDonald's to call a student named Chris who lives in Liège, because he would know how to get to the train station without a bus.

We ran through the rain for about ten minutes until we got to the station and said goodbye to Callie.  Ana said she was sure she knew how to get back to the restaurant, so we trusted her.  It started raining harder and my umbrella flipped inside out every 30 seconds.  After about a half hour of running through the pouring rain, we realized we were back by the train station.  So then we decided to trust Chris, who took us in more big circles (not to say I wouldn't have done the same, but I didn't get cocky;).

After waiting over an hour, my host-brother called me and was freaking out that I wasn't back yet.  He told me to meet him at the train station, and I told Chris just to lead me back to the river, because I was pretty sure I could get to the train station by then.  I crossed the bridge and realized I had no idea how to get to the train station.  I asked several different people for directions, but everyone led me a different way.  I forgot that there were two train stations in Liége : the one that I arrived in, and the one that we took Callie to.

Running around lost and alone in a big city in a foreign country with a foreign language is one of the most frustrating things that can happen to you.  Eventually I made my way to the wrong train station, but figured out how to take the train to the other station, where my host-brother had been waiting for me.  Even if it took a long time to figure out, I did it in French, so I'm all good;)











 I know you're all dying to hear the rest, but I'm tired, so I'll finish later

No comments:

Post a Comment