Sunday, September 16, 2012

It's been: One week! (since you looked at me)

It's been a week since I first arrived to my host family's house, and twelve days since I left Michigan.  It seems like I've been away from home for so long, and then it hits me that I've only started my year.  I have mixed feelings about this notion, but for the most part, I'm doing great.

Yesterday was the first day I was able to sleep-in since I've been here; I can definitely say I needed that.    Shortly after I woke up, I went to the gym in Marche-en-Famenne with Arthur.  Arthur is a blue-belt in judo.  I went to watch him on Wednesday and he asked me to try it next time, so I did.  I had to learn by using my vision for the most part since I couldn't really understand what they were saying.  It was interesting, and definitely something I'm not used to.  I guess I'm doing it again this Wednesday.


After judo, Arthur, Caroline, Caroline's mother, Caroline's boyfriend, and I went out for dinner.  We were going to eat at an Italian restaurant.  Unfortunately it was booked for the night, but we were still able to order pizza from it.

While we waited for the pizza, we went to a bar called Le Cercle Brasserie.  I was there with Arthur on Wednesday and I ordered a beer, so I tried the wine this time.  Both were excellent.









- - - - - - - - - -

Last night, Arthur told me to be ready for a seven kilometer dog walk with him and his friend Norman by 9:00 in the morning.  First I assumed we would be walking around his neighborhood, until Norman showed up and all of a sudden Arthur and I were in the car with his family.  We drove about ten minutes out to the middle of nowhere and pulled into a dry field with a grill and a small shack.  Friends of Norman's parents were there with their two dogs too.  We all sat on picnic tables and talked for about five minutes when we got there.  I wasn't exactly sure why we hadn't started walking yet, until another car pulled up with one more dog.  I realized they invited a couple more friends, until another car showed up.  And another.  And another.  And more and more, and the next thing I know, we're walking in a huge line of people with about thirty dogs.  




It was nice to be around dogs though, because my host family has about nine cats, and I miss my dog a lot.  The best part was that one of them was a border collie, and reminded me a ton of Savannah.


Anonymous Border Collie

Savannah

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm feeling like a lazy American right now.  I haven't started watching the TV in my room until today when I got batteries for the remote.  I wasn't going to stand up and change the channel with my hands, would you?

Salut!
Keaton

No comments:

Post a Comment